ELine Carbon Fiber Skid Plates for Honda CRF450X 05-up
- Thick composite plates with many advantages over aluminum
- The use of Kevlar gives our composite a longer fatigue life and greater tensile strength than aluminum
- Composite plates are molded to the exact shape desired, making for a closer fit and more protective plate
- Composite plates absorb vibration and do not amplify sounds like aluminum plates do
- When hit hard, aluminum permanently deforms, bending frame tubes and slicing into water pumps
- Composite plates will bounce back from hard hits and look great long after aluminum plates give up
- Skid plates protect the side engine cases and the water pump in addition to the frame and the center case
- Designed with a high front to keep mud from building up on the engine
- Mounting hardware included
- Made in the U.S.A.
Fits: Honda CRF450X 05-up
Category: Motorcycle Skid Plates
Why Mold A Carbon / Kevlar Composite Rather than Fabricated Aluminum?
A well designed skid plate protects the frame and engine cases while fitting closely. A composite molded product can take the exact shape desired. Aluminum products are fabricated from a relatively thick sheet metal plate and are welded to a shape
which does not conform as well. Composite skid plates do not resonate sounds of impact as do aluminum skid plates.
How Strong Are Composite Skid Plates?
It depends on what materials, the number of layers, and resins used. E Line uses a composite of carbon fiber, Kevlar, fiberglass, and resins. The use of Kevlar in skid plate manufacturer is unique to E Line. There is good reason Kevlar is the material
of choice in manufacture of bullet proof vests, wear resistant gloves, and high impact resistant kayaks and canoes. Kevlar disperses impact, has a longer fatigue life, and has a greater tensile strength than about any other material including aluminum.
Will An E Line Composite Skid Plate Break?
It's possible, but improbable and would happen long after an aluminum skid plate had dented frame tubes or reshaped an engine case. E Line's Carbon/Kevlar skid plates will withstand many impacts with minimal cosmetic changes.
Does A Composite Skid Plate Weigh Less Than An Aluminum Skid Plate?
E Line's skid plates typically weigh less than aluminum skid plates, but not a significant amount. The weight difference is small due to the multiple layers of carbon/Kevlar, and fiberglass totaling about 1/4" thick. Most other composite skid plates weigh less than E Line's because they do not incorporate Kevlar, have
fewer layers of composite materials and do not offer the full protection.
How Do Glide Plates Differ From Skid Plates?
E Line's Glide Plates are basically trimmed back Skid Plates. The Glide Plates protect the bottom frame rails and center engine case. Our Skid Plates additionally protect the side engine and water pump cases. E Line designs both skids and glides with a high front to reduce mud build which can cause excess engine temperature